Last Updated on August 18, 2022
Constantly desired, but not as often known, that’s where we come in with our take on the best chainsaws and chainsaw brands.
Chainsaws were designed for felling trees and cutting branches, however, new technologies and design variations have allowed chainsaws to become proficient at other tasks too. That includes clearing heavy brush, breaking up old lumber and pallets, or cutting through plastic and metal.
There are more than two dozen brands of chainsaws from which to choose. But, which are the best chainsaws and chainsaw brands? For reasons that we will reveal, here are the top four chainsaw brands:
DeWalt Industrial Tool Company (DeWalt) is an American manufacturer of power tools and hand tools, and is a registered trademark of Black & Decker Inc. (U.S.). They have been a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker, since the company acquired DeWalt in 1960.
Black & Decker was known for their consumer products—not professional work tools, but they wanted to be in the professional work tool space. They performed a market survey and discovered 70 percent of tradespersons recognized the DeWalt name, so they took tools from their Black + Decker “Professional” and “Kodiak” lines and rebranded them DeWalt while simultaneously selling the Black + Decker lines. The DeWalt sales were so great, the company discontinued the “Professional” and “Kodiak” lines.
DeWalt chainsaws have been around since 2011. They are electrically powered, powerful, and provide long battery life.
Japanese forestry and agricultural machinery manufacturer Kyoritsu Noki Company launched the first Echo-branded chainsaw in 1963. They called it the Echo CS-80. The company changed their name to Kioritz Corporation in 1971 and changed their name again in 1978 to Echo.
In 2008, the company merged with Shindaiwa Incorporated, a Japanese manufacturer of welding machines, generators, agricultural and forestry machinery, and outdoor power equipment, to form the company—The Yamabiko Corporation.
Echo produces one of the most powerful chainsaws available—the Echo CS-1201, which has a 116 cc engine and can be equipped with a bar up to 32 inches in length. The company’s Echo CS-2511T is known to be one of the lightest chainsaws in the market.
Looking for landscaping equipment near you?
We'll email you with landscaping equipment up for auction near you and featured auctions.
This well-known and respected brand provides a range in power capabilities and sizes, offers a range of features, and is known to be long-lasting while more costly.
Swedish manufacturer of outdoor power products Husqvarna Group was founded as a firearms manufacturer in 1689 and is one of the oldest, continuously running companies in the world. The company produced shotguns for 300 years. They produced their last rifle in 1989.
The company has acquired and divested a lot of brands in their 333-year history, which saw the company compete in markets such as bicycles, motorcycles, small appliances, and power tools.
In 1959, Husqvarna launched its first chainsaw and the company quickly established a reputation for offering a superior user experience that included a lighter-weight build, easier starting, quieter operation, reduced vibration, and a focus on safety. Today, the company offers a large range of chainsaws from home-use saws to professional saws for arborists and loggers, and they can fell some really large trees. They offer class-leading features and specifications, and are known to be reliable, durable, and easy to use.
This German manufacturer of handheld power equipment was founded in 1926 by Andreas Stihl when he built his first chainsaw—an electrically powered unit that weighed about 106 pounds.
The company was an important innovator in early chainsaw production. And in 1930, Stihl created the first ever chainsaw that could be operated by just one person. One year later, the company became the first European company to export chainsaws to both the US and the Soviet Union.
By 1939, the company employed about 250 people and during World War II, the company also employed slave labor. Ther factory was badly damaged in bombings during this time. Then in 1945, Allied troops arrested Andreas Stihl, a Nazi Party and Allgemeine SS member. After three years’ detention, he was classified as a Mitlaufer—a person not charged with Nazi crimes but whose involvement with the Nazi Party was so significant they couldn’t be exonerated. He was then released and his company was returned to him.
Stihl has been the biggest chainsaw manufacturing company in the world since 1971. They are also the only chainsaw manufacturer to produce their own saw chains and guide bars.
Stihl saws tend to be the most powerful, durable, and longest-lasting available. The company provides a large range of saws, many accessories, and top-of-the-line features.
The best chainsaws
Best chainsaws for felling trees:
- The Echo 20-inch Timber Wolf 59.8 cc gas chainsaw includes an anti-vibration handle for accurate cuts, a chain oiler, and an adjustable handlebar.
- The Husqvarna 460R 24-inch gas chainsaw offers an easy start feature, an automatic oiler, and anti-vibration.
- The Holzfforma Blue Thunder gasoline chainsaw features a lengthened guide bar for cutting wider trees, higher power for dealing with thicker trunks, and easy handling.
Best chainsaws for cutting metal
- The Worx WG305.1 14-inch electric chainsaw comes with auto-tension, an automatic oiler for a properly lubricated chain every use, and a chain brake feature that helps prevent injury while in use.
- The DeWalt 20V Max XR 12-inch cordless chainsaw is built to handle tough construction and demolition. Its lightweight design enhances user control while its brushless motor technology delivers a long runtime and long motor life.
- Black + Decker LCS1020B 10-inch, 20-volt, lithium ion chainsaw is designed for and features a bar and chain oiling system and a tool-free chain tensioning for fast, easy adjustments.
Best chainsaws for residential use
- The Troy Bilt TB4216 16-inch gas chainsaw with a 42cc two-stroke engine comes with an automatic bar, a chain oiling system, and a spring-assist pull start help occasional users and the chainsaw is suitable for light domestic use, such as firewood cutting, tree pruning, and bush trimming.
- The Black + Decker LCS1240 12-inch 40V Max cordless electric chainsaw comes equipped with tool-less chain tensioning, wrap-around handles, decent power, and good run times.
- The Craftsman CMCCS620M1 12-inch, V20 cordless electric chainsaw is marketed toward homeowners and DIYers. Today, Craftsman is under the Stanley Black & Decker umbrella.
With advancements in technology, chainsaws remain one of the best tools for cutting wood, plastic, or even metal. With different brands, models, and designs, there’s bound to be one or several that meet your qualifications. If you’re looking to procure a chainsaw for your business or just for use outside the home, consider browsing Municibid’s catalog for these log-splitters and related landscaping equipment. Save some money while buying something that will make your life a whole lot easier!